Friday, February 6, 2009

MIA







I have been missing in action here for a while.
My mom is doing pretty good. She is on her third cast now. I think she is just really getting bored with being stuck in the house all the time. We have been going over to see her a lot. The other night we all went over and played poker. Wednesday I we over to have lunch with Mom, Pam, Sue and Megan. We played bingo and Pam even bought prizes. It was so fun. We are just trying to keep her busy because she is a little stir crazy. She will be getting the cast off soon and they will put a softer cast on that will help her gradually bend her knee. Then she has to go in and have the wire taken out that they put in when she had surgery. Her knee still looks awful. Sue took pictures of it when they did the cast change and she has 15 staples and it is still very swollen. I just can't believe she is going through this.

I have been on a diet for 3 weeks. So far I've lost 8 pounds! I just cut out all the junk food and snacking at night. I am in a weight loss challenge with some friends from my RNL website. Knowing that I have to weigh in every week helps keep me from falling off the wagon. lol. My friend told me today that 8 pounds is like 2 bags of sugar! I feel really good and I even had to pull out my old jeans because the others were falling off my butt.

I have been asked by the Relay for Life to participate in Faces of Celebration.
I am still learning about what this is but I know that my face will be on a banner
and I will represent "Celebrate". I also have to tell them my story and they will put it on the banner. Here's the kicker...I have to make a speech at a get together about my experience. OH NO!! It freaks me out a little but I think I can do it.
If they would have asked a year ago I don't think I could...I still had that lump in my throat when I talked about it. But I think I'm ready now. Ready to move on and help people.
I better get going and figure out what I'm going to say...

8 comments:

Missie said...

I think your mom looks great for what she's gone thru!!

Enjoy your weekend.

Terri said...

Your poor mom..so glad you all are keeping her company though...keeping her in my prayers for a speedy recovery and that she will feel 100% normal and walking again soon...

How awesome that they want you on the banner and for you to give a speech...You can do it girlie!

Congrats on the 8 pound weightloss... I lost 9 pounds in Jan. but I feel like I have gained some...hope not...ugh!

Hugs
Terri

Stephanie said...

Your mom must be going nuts! It's been a month! Tell her her leg looks long and slender in the cast. :-) I hope she's up and about soon.

Way to go on the weight loss. I lost 2 pounds on that soup diet and I think 1 of them has already found me.

good luck on the relay!

Nic N said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog and for your comment--I really do appreciate it! I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog when I get a chance. It's always nice to hear of the stories of others.

Good for you on the weight loss. It's not always as difficult as it might seem at first...keep up the good work!

Terri said...

Girl come on..we will go on a shopping spree...lol I love finding bargains...

Thanks so much for your kind words about the memorial at the top of my Blog in memory of Judy... March 3rd will be 3yrs since she passed...I put that header up in memory of her and also the music playing on my journal is in memory of her... also in memory of Jeff's Uncle Johnny who had down syndrome...he will be gone 2yrs on March 13th...and also my Grandma who will be gone 10yrs on March 30 ...March is a tough month for our family....but we will get through it, we always do... but we miss them more and more each passing day it seems... I know you understand... Thanks for always being a wonderful friend Trish!

Hugs
Terri

kelly said...

sorry really behind in reading these journals.. Mom is looking good..I bet she will be glad when the cast is completely off.. as for your new journey into the cancer crusade.. I believe you will do a wonderful job.. these sites have done amazing things for amazing people.. and you are an amazing person.. I wish you the best..you'll be just fine..have fun
Kelly~

REGINA said...

hi, though i don't know you, and have just started reading your journal, i wanted to give you an award. i recently entered a contast to make a BREAST CANCER AWARENESS BADGE and i won. you appear to be a courageous and inspirational woman, thus deserving of this award. enjoy it.

snag it at my journal entry "BREAST CANCER AWARENESS AWARD (my blog is located at: http://apageunturned.blogspot.com/)
and place it on your sidebar.

blessings,

regina

Missie said...

I changed the name of my blog. I took my name out of the title. I didn't want anyone to be able to find me so easily by just typing in my name.

New name is: A middle aged mom's upside down world.

New address is: http://amiddleagedmomsupsidedownworld.blogspot.com

If you're a follower you should get updates as you're all still listed, but to be on the safe side, you could delete and re-add yourself if you just have me in your favorites and follow that way, you'll need to add my new address and delete the old.

Missie