Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Radiation begins!

I waited ten days to hear from someone about starting radiation and this morning I get a call saying, can you be here at 11:45? Yikes no time to think! I was really nervous about it. I called my mom and she came to my rescue. Today was actually a dry run, I start tomorrow and I don’t really have a schedule yet. I have to do it at their convenience because there are no regular time slots open. So starting tomorrow I will go everyday except Saturday and Sunday for 7 weeks for a total of 35 treatments. That means I will end some where around June 12. I heard it takes longer to change your clothes than it does to do the treatment.

Today I had to lay on the table in the little form they made for me and this huge machine rotated around me and they made sure everything was lining up right. They also gave me a little bar code on a card that I have to scan everyday and it lets them know I am there for treatment. Then I go into the changing room and change into my lovely gown. Then I just wait for my name to be called.

My joints are still so sore from treatment that I feel like the tin man. I need an oil can. I have a really hard time walking up and down the stairs because my knees are so stiff. I couldn't figure out what was going on until my friend reminded my sister that I was on steroids for so long it is probably from that.

My refrigerator is still broken. Oh, it makes ice and I can use it but it is just not as cold as it should be. So I ordered the part (an evaporator fan) that I needed and put it on yesterday…guess what…still not working….I am so frustrated. I was sure it was that part because it was not rotating. Well, the new one isn’t either, which makes me think that something else runs that fan and needs to be replaced also. I may have to break down and call in a repair man.

I have so much going on right now that I am losing my mind. I have the baby shower, then I have the Relay for Life and then Megan’s graduation party! Thank god for my family, they are so helpful. Megan has the prom in between all this. I back into my hectic world. It’s funny how when I wasn’t feeling well everything was just going on around me and I didn’t even notice or care to get stressed out about it. I am just going to take a deep breath and let things fall into place.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you & sending a prayer up! Happy you have a supportive family.
Hope that fridge gets fixed soon, I know how that can me. GRRRR
Higs, Sugar

Anonymous said...

Wow that is fast. Hope all the treatments go well. It's probably better not to think about it and just start. It'll be over with before you know it especially since you have so much going on around you already. Sorry about the frig that sucks. I have a broken dryer right now, but am thankful that my daughter has one that I can use and my air conditioning went out so I know what you mean when it rains it pours. My daughter participates in Relay for Life. One of her best friend's little brother died of brain cancer several years ago and every year all the friend get together and do it as a team in his honor. I think it's great that they all still remember every year without fail and think of J.C. How exciting that your daughter is graduating. We're doing the prom thing too, but my daughter's is her junior prom. I just posted pics of her dress if you'd like to see. My journal is private, but I think I already added your name to the list. I would love to see your daughter's dress. I love seeing everyone all dolled up.
Take care, Chrissie

Anonymous said...

The pain is still probably from your taxotere....going down the stairs was always harder on me then going up...I still have a lil trouble if I over do it...so I am learning to not over do it! lol I might have to have spot treatment radiation when I am through with this next round of chemo...that is if this chemo works this time! GRRRR! lol

I wishe you good health my friend for a very! very long time!

K.

Anonymous said...

I had my assessment last week and I start radiotherapy next week.  I have to go every day (excluding weekends) for 20 days I think they said.  Dreading it.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

P.S. I have made a donation to your Relay For Life.  My friend is running in a similar race over here and dedicating her run to me.  Good luck with the fundraising.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

Praying for you and hoping all goes well with the treatments so you can get back to a normal life again!  Big hugs,TerryAnn

Anonymous said...

You sound so very busy!  I hope the radiation is kind to your skin.  Goop up with lots of lotion!  You just might need to call that repairman...  Then you can bug him with questions!  LOL!  I hope you can get into a good radiation schedule.  Take care, Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the radiation!
Missie

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the radiation tomorrow, sweetie..  My thoughts and prayers are with you!  Love your spirit...  Stay strong!

Hugs and love
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Many blessings to you as you start the radiation. I will be thiking of you and praying for you.
Christina
http://journals.aol.com/olachiaclan/the-uniboob-club/

Anonymous said...

I hope that everything goes well for you with the radiation
hugs
Jayne

Anonymous said...

GRR@my alerts...I didn't get this alert...or your latest one...
Sorry I am late getting here but i hope radiation went okay...June will be here before ya know it. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers always Trish....
Hugs,
Terri