Thursday, April 12, 2007

Radiation

I went for my radiation simulation yesterday. This is where they set me up for my treatments. My mom, Pam and Sue came with me. I was a little nervous because I didn’t know what to expect. They called me back, and I had to lay on a table on and rest my head and shoulders on a foam block. It looked like one of the things that come in the box when you buy a new television.

It was covered in plastic and they poured some thick goopy stuff over it and then position me how they wanted me to lay. I had to lay with my left arm up over my head and hold onto a pole that was by my right shoulder. The foam got really hot until it hardened from the chemical. This took about 5 minutes. So there I lay holding onto the pole and my hand and arm are starting to fall asleep. It was driving me crazy, I just wanted to shake it out. I asked if I could move it but she said I had to hold it up there another 15 minutes. I couldn’t move because the doctor had to make some markings with magic marker.. I have X’s and marks all over me. Then they started to do a CAT scan, and the computer froze up. I finally got to put my arm down while they rebooted the computer and what a relief. I had to do the CAT scan again and then they had to tattoo some marks so they know exactly where to do the radiation. I’m not going to lie, it hurt! I had 4 tattoo’s in all. I got dressed and went out to where my family was waiting and when I saw them I started crying like a big baby. I don’t even know why! I think I am just sick of all the poking and prodding. I had to sit down for a little bit before we could leave. Oh before we left I dragged them all into the bathroom and showed them my magic marker marks and my tattoo’s! The tattoo’s are just little dots and only like little freckles. The girl that did them said my skin takes to tattoo ink really well and if I ever get a real tattoo it would come out nice. Hmmm should I get a tattoo?

Oh I have news! Jeffrey bought Bonnie an engagement ringand put it in her Easter basket on Sunday! He did such a good job, it is a beautiful ring. She was so excited and they were so cute. I was in the kitchen with Megan and we could hear them and we were clinging together crying. Hee hee.

I have to wait for a call from the hospital,they said 5-10 days before I start radiation. I am feeling so good lately that I am planning on working when I can. I already asked them to schedule me for after work. I have come such a long way already. When I look back now I can’t even remember how miserable I was!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay!  So they are officially engaged now!  You've had an emotional few days here.  I remember having to hold my arm up (I was laying down though) through a biopsy and I swear the circulation was cut off.  So I know how uncomfortable you were!  About the tattoo - how funny!  "So, have you got a tattoo?  Yes, I've got 4 - but you can barely see them"  I refuse to answer the question after I get my you-know-what tattooed!  Cause I ain't showing it!  LOL!  I hope they work the radiation around your schedule - I hear they are usually good about that.
Take care,
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

The ring in the basket is such a cute idea!  Congrats them both.  Sending hugs your way.
Missie

Anonymous said...

Hi Trish

Your doing so great now.  I told my family about your cancer free my mom started crying and said thank god.  I am still praying for you.
Love Ya
Linda, Tony, Ashley & Gina

Anonymous said...

{{{{Trish}}}}  Big hugs, sweetie!  I remember well how sick and tired I was of all the poking and prodding.  Sometime you just feel so overwhelmed by it all.. and just want it to stop!  You are definitely a trooper, my friend!

Hang in there!  

Love and prayers to you!

Hugs
jackie

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear you are feeling so good. :)
May God Bless,
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Jeffrey and Bonnie...How sweet!!!!!
Hope all goes well with radiation...keeping you
in my prayers as always!
Hugs,
Terri

Anonymous said...

I have been so stunned by Kimberleigh's cancer struggles again that I have not been back for a while to see how you are doing.  (I Shaved my legs for this?)  So forgive me for getting sidetracked as I see you are still getting treatment. I helped my last male companion through his cancer ordeal, but he was diagnosed too late to help him at all.  I kept thinking he should have a chest ex-ray, but that wouldn't have saved him either.  Cancer is so much easier to handle if there is some hope of a cure, and I hope very much you are one of those.  My son took my ex to have radium treatment for prostate cancer because his dad died of it and he never had a bit of problem with it after.   Gerry