Monday, April 16, 2007

Ms. Fix it!

I went to work today and aside from my joints being stiff I did really good. I was a little tired when I got home but still managed to go to the deli and get some stuff done around the house afterward. We have needed a new kitchen faucet for about 4 months now. It worked, but the hot water handle was broken so every time I needed to use it I had to reach under the sink and turn it on from there. Yes my man can put in windows but he’s no plumber.

Yesterday we went to Home Depot and bought the new fixture. Today when I came home from work it was sitting on the kitchen table and I walked by it about 5 times and then decided I was going to fix it myself! I crawled under the sink and turned off the water and then went and got a pillow to lay on and crammed myself under the cabinet and started wrenching. I got the first nut off no problem, but the other ones were stubborn. When Jeff came in from work all he could see was my feet stinking out from under the sink. I was so determined to do this myself but I just didn’t have the strength to get the rest of the nuts loosened so Jeff came to my rescue! When he got them loose I told him to get lost so I could finish it myself. He was laying on the couch saying “how’s it going in there Trish?” I called him in when I was done so we could watch the hot water flow out of my masterpiece. It was so nice to do something productive! I have always been the one to fix things around the house. I put the bathroom faucet on about a year ago, years ago I tore apart the refrigerator when the defrost timer went out and put it on myself. We got about 3 more years out of it and now Sue has it in her garage! My washer broke once and I took that apart and discovered it was just a wire that had come loose during the spin cycle. I added a phone line in Jeffrey’s bedroom when he was younger so we could hook up the internet in his room, and I can change electrical outlets too! I always watched my dad fix stuff around the house. He had four girls and I was the youngest. I would always hang around and watch and hand him the tools he needed. I knew what needle nose pliers were when I was five. I hate when I have to call in a repair man for something. My refrigerator is acting up and I have only had it for 3 years. My warranty went out in December so now it’s up to me. I guess I will be taking that apart soon and trying to figure out what’s wrong with it! Jeff can hand me the tools….lol

Today when I came in from work my dog was sitting on the couch waiting for me. I walked in and had the left the door open, so after I put my purse on the kitchen table I walked back in the living room to shut the door and said to Dabny (my dog) HEY LOVERBOY!!! And guess what????….the mailman was on my front porch putting the mail in my mailbox! OMG! I just crept away and then shut the door when he left. Hee hee. Can you imagine? A bald lady saying HEY LOVERBOY to the mailman! He must think I’m a nut job. How do you explain that one? “Ummmm. I was talking to my dog“….lolol

Jeff’s fiancĂ© Bonnie spent most of Saturday in the emergency room because she was having a hard time breathing. She was getting ready to leave for work and you could see her gasping for breath. She called the doctor and they said to go to the hospital. They gave her a breathing treatment and it didn’t help at all, so they decided to do some test because they wanted to rule out a blood clot in her lung. Thank god that’s not what it was. She has a virus and they gave her an inhaler to use and she is doing much better. Her belly is getting so big! I got to hear the babies heart beat while we were there. I was sitting there listening to it thinking…that’s my little grandbaby in there! I am so excited. This baby is going to be such a blessing after all my family has been through. I just can’t wait to get my hands on the little guy.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

too funny on the loverboy comment! I too seem to have to do most of the minor repairs around my home...he can hunt and fish so I'll never starve I just wont have shelter,electricty, heat and running water to cook in! lmaoooooo

Anonymous said...

I would not have attempted to change the faucet myself.  Your brave!  Have a good day.
Missie

Anonymous said...

 OK, I have a list of things you can fix for me, LOL.  I like to do some of those things but would have never attempted major appliances, LOL.  Now you have to check and see if the mailman starts sprucing up when he visits, is his hair neatly combed, his uniform freshly pressed.  You go girl.  giggle, I could just see.  Take care and I wish I had a new grandbaby to look forward to.  Have to get my youngest son busy finding a someone.

                          Julie

Anonymous said...

You go girl!!  I haven't had the guts to work on appliances - maybe I'll try it now.  You've inspired me.  I'm glad your soon-to-be-DIL and grandbaby are okay.  That was scarey!  Too funny about the mailman!  I'm sure he had a spring in his step and a good story for the boys at work!
Take care, Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Trish, so glad you are getting back to normal.  I know how hard it's been.  I still get nervous every six months when I see Dr. E.  See you at the shower.

Anonymous said...

Dang now i know who to call if i need something repaired...hehe  Thats awesome you know how to do all those things.... That grandbaby is going to be the light of your life =)
LMAOOOOOOOOO@ the "hey loverboy"  I have laughed so much i am crying here...hahaha  I bet you about fell onto the floor when you saw the mailman.... you prolly made his day!  
Don't throw nothing at me...lol   I am laughing with you Trish ..hehehe   The things we say to our dogs =)
Love and Hugs
  ~Terri~

Anonymous said...

You remind me of my mother who was a lot handier fixing stuff than my dad.  I thought she was fearless, because she bought an iron that used white gas in the days when we only had stove irons.  When she lit it fire would go clear to the ceiling and cowardly me would run outside as fast as I could.  She thought it was worth risking being blown up not to have to use those old irons. I got a kick out of all your fix it stories  Oh, I am glad you are expecting a grand baby.  That will certainly be a source of pure joy.  Gerry

Anonymous said...

I am about as worthless as a wooden nickle when it comes to being "handy" around the house!  I can barely change a lightbulb..lol.  Well, that's exagerating, but, you know what I mean! lol
You are every husbands dream.. or, maybe their nightmare! lol  You know how some men like to do everything themselves, and feel threatened when women can do it better!  Sounds like your hubby is perfectly happy with you! ;)

You sound so happy, Trish!  So full of life!  I am excited for you in regards to your grandchild.  Nothing as beautiful as that!!!

Much love sweetie!

Hugs
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Yay....WTG Trish...Well done.

Sorry to hear about your DIL.....hope everything goes well

Jayne

Anonymous said...

LMAO... to funny poor mailman. I'm a bit behind. I didn't know you were gonna be a grandma. CONGRATS... that baby will be your world. I know two years ago a little boy walked straight into my heart the day he was born. When is the baby due? You said little guy so do you know it's a boy already?
Take care, Chrissie