Skip to main content

My first Chemo and Thank God for Lidocaine

 

Here is a picture of my daughter Megan and Me.

Ok so I had my first Chemo. I woke up and took my anti nausea pill, slathered the numbing cream on my port-a cath and covered it in saran wrap like I was told to.

My mom came over to take me for my appointment, when she got there I was putzing around the house until she finally said, "ok missy, quit stalling, lets go".  She was right, I was stalling. It's not that I was nervous I had found a calm the night before. I sat at the end of my bed and thought, ok this is it, I have to be strong and just do this. So off we went to chemo, by the time we got there I was clutching my Worry Stone.

My daughter Megan wanted to go with me. I didn't  know if it was a good idea. She said, “mom I really want to be there with you,” so I let her come. When we got there, she sat on the floor with her head on my leg. Up to this point Megan has not shown too much emotion to me except for when she first heard the news and ran into the basement. I had to go get her and tell her everything was going to be fine. She was doing fine just talking with me about wigs and stuff when a lady and her husband walked in. She had a scarf on her head with a cap and you could see her bald head underneath. She sat next to her husband and put her head on his shoulder. That’s when Megan broke down. She looked up at me and said, Momma. I don’t want you to be like that.” She cried with her head in my lap until she was all cried out.

When they called my name my stomach dropped and off we went to my doom. I had a private room with a television and a recliner and guest chairs. I sat down and that is when my nerves took over again. I was shaking.

The nurse came in and it was time for the thing I feared the most…..accessing the port for the first time. It had been so sore and I just couldn't imaging it being poked at. She took off the saran and prepared it…… OK….. This is it…….POKE…….guess what?…I didn’t feel a thing. Thank god for the lidocaine cream. And to think I lost sleep over THAT!!

First the nurse gave me some Ativan for my nerves because I was ready to jump out of skin. About five minutes later I was getting sleepy and looking at my mom and Megan through one eye. OK I was ready….bring it on!!!

It was time for my chemo. First came the Adriamycin. This one was pushed into my I.V. by the nurse very slowly. While she’s doing this she told me that I will pee red for a couple days…great I’ve peed blue, green, and now red. As she was pushing the drug into my body, I imagined…what could be going on in there…was it doing it’s job? I hope so.

The next was the Cytoxen. That took longer and was in an I.V. drip. I watched it drip until I final curled up and fell asleep.I woke up and Megan and my mom walked me out to the car because I felt a little wobbly.

When I got home I crawled in bed. My mom got me settled and had to go to work. Jeff came home and loved me up and told me he was glad I was on my way to getting better. Jeffrey rubbed my legs and feet. And Megan cleaned the house. Then my best friend Annie came over and we laid in my bed and cried together. My mom is staying over for a couple days. I could not do this without her. I need her now.

All in all I feel ok today. Not great just ok. I have a terrible headache. I’ve had it all day.

My mom keeps telling me to go and lay down, but I’m a busy body.  I stopped and put my head against the cold kithcen doorway to ease my head pain and I looked up at the ceiling fan and gasped. Next thing you know I'm on a chair in the kitchen with the murphy's oil soap and a rag, that is until Jeffrey screamed GRANDMA....come see my mom!! That was the end of that....grandma finished cleaning the ceiling fan. I think I will take her up on that and go to bed. I’m tired.

 To all my message board and journal friends that are going through this….I’m thinking of you!!! We can DO this!!

 

 

 

 

Comments

Anonymous said…
First, you and your daughter are very beautiful.  I'm so glad you had her and your mom as your support today.  It was a big day for you.  I hope all your days go well.  And I hope your headache is gone by now.  It could be due to the stress of the day.  Praying for you!!  Hang in there!
Anonymous said…
The center I go to has two major sides to it....the waiting area which I find depressing as hell, then the chemo side which I just saw for the first time yesterday. One wall floor to ceiling windows looking out over grass way, tree lines and a pond with a large fountain....peaaceful, beautiful, serene....I don't ever wat to wait in that other room again.

Your daughter Megan is gorgeous! Just like her Momma!

So far I am doing very well day two of chemo...I go back in a little while to get a shot to upgrade my white blood cell count.......fun fun fun!

XOXO
Kim
Anonymous said…
Megan is gorgeous...so are you (hair or no hair).

I am glad the first time went ok and you are hanging in there...we are all thinking of you and praying for you.  

XOXO, Susie

Popular posts from this blog

Here we go again

And  here we go again. Really? Really?!!! My biggest fear has come true. After eleven years of looking over my shoulder this stupid cancer has come back. I'm more pissed off than scared. Every year I was cancer free, I would announce to anyone that would listen, "it's been five years since I was diagnosed with breast cancer, it's been ten years since I was diagnosed with breast cancer" I just reached eleven years in August of 2017 and said with pride, "it's been eleven years since I was diagnosed with breast cancer" This sucks! I am devastated. I just don't want to go through this again. I know what I'm in for......

Where has the time gone?

I can't believe I haven't been on my blog in so long. The days go by so fast and I have been so busy. So much has gone I on don't even know where to start. My mom had a second surgery on her knee. She is doing ok but has been in a lot of pain. She has therapy and the guy has been bending it 100%. I know she is just really bored with being stuck in the house. She is starting to get out more a little here and there though. My computer crashed and I lost all my pictures!! I was a little upset but I'm over it now. Most of them were my vacations pictures. I saved a lot of the pictures of the baby and my kids stuff but I never got around to saving my folder and then CRASH!!! Oh well, life goes on..It's weird how you change after something like cancer...when things like my computer crashing happens it just doesn't feel like the end of the world anymore. lol Megan went on Spring Break to Florida and I was a nervous wreck! I tracked her plane all the way there. I called

MIA

I have been missing in action here for a while. My mom is doing pretty good. She is on her third cast now. I think she is just really getting bored with being stuck in the house all the time. We have been going over to see her a lot. The other night we all went over and played poker. Wednesday I we over to have lunch with Mom, Pam, Sue and Megan. We played bingo and Pam even bought prizes. It was so fun. We are just trying to keep her busy because she is a little stir crazy. She will be getting the cast off soon and they will put a softer cast on that will help her gradually bend her knee. Then she has to go in and have the wire taken out that they put in when she had surgery. Her knee still looks awful. Sue took pictures of it when they did the cast change and she has 15 staples and it is still very swollen. I just can't believe she is going through this. I have been on a diet for 3 weeks. So far I've lost 8 pounds! I just cut out all the junk food and snacking at night. I am