Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Shedding and Bored

Well I went to the doctor and my blood count is low. They warned me it would happen. I have a throat infection, possibly strep throat. I have to go in every day and get a shot. It will help my white cells. The nurse gave me the shot in the arm yesterday, and I it hurt so bad! It is like getting stung by a wasp only worse! You can't rub it afterward for some reason and that's all I wanted to do to take the sting away. I felt it all the way to the car. I went in today and was dreading it. I asked the nurse if the stomach would be better and she said we could try it. It freaked me out but what could be worse than yesterday in the arm! I have to say I didn't really feel it in the stomach. I felt a little burn afterward and now I have a bruise, but I will take the stomach over the arm any day.

My hair is really shedding. Yesterday I wore a ponytail and hat just to keep it from shedding all over the house. I'm just not ready to shave it off yet. We were driving down the street and Jeff goes, "why are you wearing a hat today"...and I said..."so my bangs don't blow out the car window." We laughed so hard. Today Jeff is running around with a bandana on his head and Megan was wearing my wig. I'm glad their having fun with it. lol

Ok I have heard about Chemo brain and I think I am starting to get it. A few days ago, Megan made brownies and she needed my help putting them in the pan. So I told her to hold the bowl and I started scraping away. I put the spoon down and got the rest out of the bowl with a spatula and put them in the oven. About 40 minutes later Megan is screaming for me to come down stairs and she is cracking up. She was cutting into the brownies and found something....I thought I set the spoon on the counter but noooo, I baked it into the brownies. We laughed so hard! hee hee. Then yesterday I went to Walgreen for my medicine. I got a call from them about 5 minutes after I got home. I left one of my bags in the basket outside. Someone turned it in. I was so embarrassed because all the bag had in it were 2 king size resee cups and some raisenettes...lolol They tracked me down and called me and said, we thought you might want your resee cups. She was right I did! Too funny.

I can't go to work until my counts are back up. I will have to start doing ebay again to keep myself busy.

Tomorrow I go for genetic counseling. (and another shot) My doctor wanted me to go. My Mom, Sue, Pam, and Megan are going too. I'm curious to see what it's all about. Kind of scary for my family I think. Do they want to know if they have the gene? Would I want to know if it were me and didn't have BC? We are just going to learn about it for now and make a decision later. I have a lot of research to do on that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your throat.  I just went through a terrible cold that started with a horrible sore throat - but not strep.  

When I was doing IVF, I had to give myself shots in the stomach or thigh.  I much preferred the stomach - if you haven't done it, you would think that would be just horrible, but it's not.

I'm sorry about your hair loss.  I would have a hard time doing the head shave too.  But you know it's going to happen. *sigh*

Funny about the Reese's.  It's a crime to leave something like that behind!!  Yum, yum.  At least your taste for chocolate hasn't gone.  :-)

Anonymous said...

My blood counts dropped the first time too, I ended up with a throat infection too even with the shot of neulasta (sp?) so from now on I start antibotics every sixth day after chemo for preventative measures. My 2nd chemo day I was a lil more queazy, second day not as sleepy but very flushed in the face and in the chest. I still am shedding but just a lil, so I will keep it for a lil while longer. Battle on warrior in pink princess, we are going to beat this!!!!!