Monday, October 23, 2006

Work, eating and I'm a STAR!

I went to work today. The kids were all staring and asking questions about my new look. The boys thought I shaved my head just because I wanted a new hairdoo and the girls all gave me hugs and just kind of knew what was going on without too many questions.  I had a little anxiety walking into the lunch room for the first time with my hat on, but it turned out ok. I feel like I have to explain why I am not wearing a wig. I just don't feel comfortable in it. I feel like I am playing dress up. I will wear it now and then but for everyday I'm liking the hat and scarf.
I had my lab work done today and my counts are a little low so starting Wednesday I have to give myself a shot until Sunday. My mom is going to do it for me. She has to have surgery on Friday so the nurse showed me how to do it myself and I think I can do it!
My mom is having her thyroid removed Friday morning. She is kind of nervous about it. They will have to check it for cancer and it is really worrying us. I told her she isn't allowed to have cancer right now...only one person in the family at a time! She will be in the hospital a couple days and I told her I WILL be there with her! She keeps telling me I shouldn't be there because all of the germs, but I think it should be ok considering there are people in the hospital with cancer all the time...lol.  I  hope she's ok. I am so worried. I just can't imagine anything happening to my mom. She is one of my best friends.
I ate so much in the past week that I think I might explode! Nothing sounds good but once I start eating forget about it!  It's not that I am eating a lot, it's just that I get so full, and the feeling lasts all day. I went to breakfast with my mom and Sue on Sunday. It was a late breakfast around 11:00, I searched the menu and nothing sounded good...until I got to the fish dinner....lol I had fish dinner for breakfast. I know it sounds gross, but at the time that is the only thing that sounded good. Right now I could barf just thinking about it.
My friend Terri came over last night with a HUGE pot of chicken soup with dumplings and lots of other goodies! That was so nice. I know it was a lot of work. My husband has already said that my cancer is making him fat! I have always been kind of thin so I think my cancer is making ME fat too! The medicine they have these days make it a little easier toeat. I still have a sweet tooth, and I live on peanut butter and jelly toast when nothing else sounds good, so I am eating.

There is a movie on Lifetime tonight that I am looking forward to watching. It's called Why I Wore Lipstick To My Mastectomy. It is about a young women's experience with breast cancer. I went to the Lifetime web site and they wanted pictures of breast cancer survivors so I submitted my picture and guess what? They chose it and it is on the web site. Here is the link. It's picture #2 http://www.lifetimetv.com/breastcancer/photos/gallery10/index.php
My sister Sue helped me out with the release forms. I didn't hear anything so I had forgot about it. Sue called me Saturday and said....your on the web site!  Isn't that just too funny! (they did spell my last name wrong but I'm used to that) It's the picture of me trying on wigs.  I'm a star!!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you ARE a Star! Thanks for sharing with all of us. I'll keep your Mom in prayer too.
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

Anonymous said...

Trish , hi I think I may have accidently deleted an email you sent me by mistake, I'm so sorry, I hope your mom will be ok, I 'll keep her in my prayers, mmmmmmmm I love chicken and dumplings, congrats on being a star !!!!!!!!!I'm going to add you to my journal reader's list, Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying for your mom.  Just take a bottle of Purell with you when you visit, I'm sure it'll do you better to be there than to stay home and fret.

Hey, I saw you!!  You're famous!!

You can do it!  You CAN give yourself the shot.  Just be sure to rub hard with the alcohol wipe first to desensitize yourself (or ask them for some of that topical skin numbing stuff) and just do it!  Don't hesitate.  The quicker the better.

Anonymous said...

I will keep you and your mom in my prayers. Good soup-nothing like it!! Glad work went well for ya....Congrats on the being a star.
Michele
http://journals.aol.com/glensfork4/these-are-my-thoughts/

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and your mom ~ you are doing wonderfully! Millie x http://journals.aol.co.uk/millieukgirl/milliesmessings

Anonymous said...

Hi.  I found you through another journal.  You are an inspiration to me.  My husband is also a cancer survivor (Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma, and bone marrow cancer).  He beat the NHL (it's been over 7 years now).  He is also in remission from the bone marrow cancer (he had a bone marrow, rather stem cell transplant in Jan of this year).  But he has been having some complications from the stem cell transplant.  But he is one to NEVER give up.  Stop by my journal if you get the chance.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink  

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I don't need one more journal to read, I must have 70 something on alerts, but I am putting you on alerts, going back and reading your journal from the beginning, b/c your story is so inspiring to me.  

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

That is great that your a STAR!!!!  Linda

Anonymous said...

Hi Trish...I got your link through Kim I shaved my legs for this.  i am gonna check you out at the life time site!  I want to give you big hugs and will be praying for your mother, your family and you as you battle this  wicked cancer!  TerryAnn
http://journals.aol.com/thegirlnexdoor77/GoinCrazy/

Anonymous said...

Trish......will be keeping you mom in my prayers.  I watched that movie last night.  I thought it was pretty good.
Hugs,
Dana
http://journals.aol.com/rainy35/RoadToSuccess

Anonymous said...

Keeping your mum in my prayers Kim....Hope that everything goes ok
hugs
Jayne

Anonymous said...

Keeping your mother as well as you in my prayers...
Glad they chose your pic for the Lifetime website...
Your friend Terri sounds sweet.... =)

Hugss..~Terri~

Anonymous said...

You are a star!! :)  What a nice picture of you, and all the other ladies.  Looking at all of the pictures with all those beautiful smiles brought tears to my eyes, but not tears of sadness.. tears of admiration for the courage and the will to survive that you all put forward in your everyday life.
I missed that movie on Lifetime, darnit!  I was looking forward to seeing it. They've been advertising it for the past 2 months, it seems.  I'm sure it will be on again.  Lifetime usually shows special presentations like that over and over throughout the month.  I wonder why they waited till the end of October to premier it, especially since October is Breat Cancer Awareness month?  Hmm...

As for your mom..  one thing about the thyroid is, IF it is cancerous, it's usually the easiest cancer to get rid of.  You can live with your thyroid, and the cancer very rarely spreads elsewhere.

I will keep your mom in my prayers... and of course you are always in them!

Hugs
Jackie

http://journals.aol.com/siennastarr/Hopefloats/

Anonymous said...

I had 2 wigs when I was going through chemo, but my favorite thing to wear was a soft baseball cap.
It`s good that you`re eating! You look great in that sidebar picture.
Penny