Thursday, October 26, 2006

My Sister Sharon, My Inspiration

I have something I want to share with everyone. Some of you know my sister Sharon died from breast cancer. What you don't know is that she was a great writer. I have read her thoughts before but now they have a whole new meaning to me. When I would read them I would always think about what she must have been going through at the time, and now I know. She was an inspiration to me and to everyone around her. Here is something that I came across that I can relate to in certain ways. I know I have some friends out there that have had mastectomies that will find this a great inspiration. It is called Self Love.

Today I will make friends with the area of my body that has been through surgery. I will look at myself in the mirror and not think of myself as disfigured just because I look different.

I will focus on the fact that once, where there used to be a mound of flesh, there is now a flatter more hollow surface that, when touched, puts me that much closer to my heart and soul.

 I will realize that yes, I do look different, and yes, it does take some getting used to, but I am alive. I AM ALIVE.

What was taken from me in the desperate chance to prolong my life has given me, in return, a whole new sense of how precious and short life is, and that now is the time to re-evaluate how I want to spend the rest of my precious time here on this earth.

When I get dressed and walk from this room to greet this new day, I will so it with pride and self-love. Most of all, I will feel so grateful that I have gained a whole new insight about my life, and that from here and now I will begin making the most of it.

Written by Sharon L. Shank Copyright 1997 (Please use only with permission)

My sister Sue compiled Sharon’s writings after she died and gave a copy to my mom, and my other sister Pam. What wonderful memories we have of our sister. I have so many more to share that I will be posting soon. Thanks. Hope you like it. Trish

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

How beautiful and inspiring.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written and very heartfelt.  She put her heart and soul into that..  thank you so much for sharing it with us, Trish..

Hugs
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Trish, what a beautiful poem !!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing, Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

How very touching.  You must be in tears reading her words, I know I am!!  She was a beautiful person and a wonderful writer.

Anonymous said...

What a powerful and beautiful entry.
d
http://journals.aol.com/nightmaremom/Thisandthatandhockey/

Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing this is is beautiful!  Linda

Anonymous said...

Another beautiful soul taken before this world was ready to let her go. ((((Trish))))

XOXO
Kimberleigh

Anonymous said...

What a BEAUTIFUL entry. Thank you so much for sharing. Continuing to keeping you in my prayers. Thank you for your visit also.
Michele

Anonymous said...

Wow, Trish, your sister's words are truly inspiring.  Thank you for sharing them!  I am sure that your sister's experience adds a whole different dimension to your battle for your entire family.  I am glad that you are able to draw upon your sister's writings as a source of strength.  I look forward to reading more.  I hope you are feeling well!  I think of you often and will continue to check in!
Love, Kristin

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post Trish.
Hugs,
Dana
http://journals.aol.com/rainy35/RoadToSuccess

Anonymous said...

Hi there,((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))))))Your entry is amazing,makes me want to cry.You dont want to dwell on life,that is amazng,you want to live,I belive you are living your life.I guess as the say goes,live as if it is your last.You have so much courge.God bless you and have a wodnerful day.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing that,
what a wonderful outlook on life Sharon had..
so glad your family have those to look back on.

Hugss..~Terri~

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing.

Love n prayers to you:)
Niki

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for sharing that. I'm so sorry about your wonderful sister passing away. I know it must still be hard.

Anonymous said...

Trish......I am so very sorry to hear about your sister......Her writing's are beautiful......Thank you so much for sharing them
Hugs
Jayne