Thursday, October 19, 2006

2nd Chemo down!

I had my second chemo on Monday and so far so good. Aside from a little fatigue and stomach stuff going on I'm doing ok. I may have overdone it yesterday though. I went to the Look Good Feel Better class that the American Cancer Society offers. It was wonderful! I have been volunteering with the Realy for Life for 4 years and I actually got to see what some of our money has been going for. My mom and Sue went with me. Then of course the lady that was running it had to go and do the tupperware introduce yourself game. I was the last one and when I opened my mouth I said my name and why I was there and how my family is here and how much they support me and I have 2 kids and then I started crying.....oh god! Then my mom and Sue were crying. I got over it once I opened the bag and saw all the goodies though. They gave me a big bag just filled with makeup, and I am talking good makeup! The kind I walk past in the department store and dream about! They showed how to put on your eyebrows when they start to thin, and had a lot of good tips for trying to stay up beat and nice looking through all of this.
From there we went to the wig shop where I bought my wig and I dontated my hair. They gave me a pin that says "Children with hair Loss" I donated so much hair they couldn't believe that half of it had already fallen out before I cut it off.  They also trimmed my bangs on my wig. I still haven't wore it yet. I am just not used to it. I have some special occasions that I will definetly wear it to but for now I am content in my hat and scarf.
Then we went to lunch. I didn't want to eat but my mom and sister were making sure I ate. I ended up with some chicken soup and a half of turkey pita. Once I started eating, it tasted really good and I scarfed it down.  Then my mom ordered up a HUGE piece of chocolate cake!  If you have ever been to Pipers on Telegraph road you know what I'm talking about! It is the biggest piece of cake I ever saw. I had a little piece and it was so good.  I was still full when I woke up this morning. hee hee.
I had to go to Megan's conferences yesterday too.  She didn't tell any of her teachers what is going on at home. One teacher said to her "Megan you should have let me known" and Megan said..."I didn't want you to feel like you had to give me special treatment because my mom is sick."  I had to explain to her that it is not about that. Sometimes they need toknow, for the days when your not doing good they will understand why.  They were really nice and her counseler was so nice and understanding.  It upsets me because this is Megan's senior year and I hate that she has to go through this with me. But I think she is doing ok. She has not been excluded from anything since my diagnosis.  I am keeping her informed and trust me, she asks tons of questions!
My friend Tammy stopped by today and gave me 2 terry cloth sleep caps! They are so comfy. She is a 16 year breast cancer survivor! She has been there for me with tons of information. She also cared for her mom who passed away from cancer. She brought over a vanilla frosty from Wendy's.  It was so good, my mouth is so sore the week of chemo and it really helped.
All and all I am having a good week so far considering just having chemo. I am planning on going to work Monday. I will unviel the new me to the kids!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your second chemo is going well so far.  That sounds like a great class the ACS has!  Our ACS seems less organized.  I'm supposed to get a visit, but haven't.  Oh well.

That's so nice that you were able to donate your hair.  Some little girl will be so thankful to get it.

Anonymous said...

I FEEL SO HONORED TO READ YOUR JOURNAL...YOU ARE VERY BRAVE....YOU ARE! I SO WISH THAT THEY COULD FIND A REMEDY FOR ALL THE SIDE EFFECTS OF CHEMO....YOU WOULD THINK THAT IF THEY CAN DO ALL THAT THEY DO IN SPACE ETC. THEY COULD.
HANG IN THERE AND GOD BLESS YOU.
HUGS,
CARLENE

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you are doing well! Thank God for the good days huh??

Anonymous said...

Trish, what a positive attitude you have. And I think that that is half the battle in this, having a positive attitude, along with humor and the love and support of good friends and family. My continued prayers to you and others who are fighting this battle. I have just been diagnosed with Inflammatory breast cancer last week. I am scared out of my mind, but I hope that writing my thoughts down will help. You, Kimberleigh and Stephanie have all been an inspiration to me and bless all of you. Barbara

Anonymous said...

I am here by way of Kim's journal!!  I see you are wearing a Detroit Tigers hat in one pic.  Are you from Michigan?  I am!!  Linda

Anonymous said...

Hi Trish..  Kim send me over and I'm so glad that she did.  What a trooper you are.  While reading about your trip to the Look Good Feel Better program, I remembered my trip there 10 years ago.  I am a Cancer surviver, but I had Ovarian, and can totally relate to all these feelings you are having.  I was a single parent raising two 12 year olds (at the time), and they were my life line through the whole ordeal.  
My thoughts and prayers are with you, Trish.. and I shall walk beside you, here in your journal, and fight this fight right along with you.. via support through my comments and many prayers.

God Bless you..
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Hiya Trish...
I am new to your journal , being sent your way by Kim =)
I now have you on alerts, I have read all your previous entries...
and am so glad Kim lead me to your journal!  
You are such a strong, beautiful person..and i look forward to getting to know more about you. I see you lost a sister to breast cancer, I am so sorry for your loss...I lost my aunt to breast cancer also, just 7 months ago...she was 43...she turned 44 on the day she was buried....she was an inspiration to me and i miss her dearly...I know you can relate with everything you went through with your sister.
Stay strong Trish, Keep the Faith...and always know we are here for you!  I've left my link if you want to visit sometime.
Hope you are feeling okay today, enjoy your sunday!

http://journals.aol.com/chevyz71gurl74/Youthinkyouknowbutyouhavenoidea

Hugss..~Terri~

Anonymous said...

Hi Trish,
I came here from Jackie.  I think writing will help ya get through your treatments and everything else you have to deal with.  I put ya on alerts and will be praying for ya.  Are you in Michigan?  I used to live off Telegraph Rd. in Southfield.  Take care.
Hugs,
Dana
http://journals.aol.com/rainy35/RoadToSuccess

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your breast cancer, but so proud of you for your courage. I will be praying for you and asking others too as well.
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK
        http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/THROUGHGOD'SEYES

Anonymous said...

Hi Trish, I am here by way of Jackies journal.  We figure the more support the better, right!   Keep up the positive attitude and we are all here for you.

                Julie
http://beta.journals.aol.com/midwestvintage/JulieLosesitMyWeightLossJourney/

Anonymous said...

Hi Trish, Jackie sent me over, Keeping you in my prayers and if you would like the link for my private journal let me know, Hugs to you Lisa aka Lisa41076@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Hi, I got your link from Jackie`s journal. I am a leukemia survivor. I also attended the  Look Good, Feel Better program. Isn`t it great?! I have my hair back now and I`m feeling good. And you will, too.
Hugs and prayers to you,
Penny
email me if you ever need a friend who will understand what you`re going through. My daughter was in her 2nd year of college when I was diagnosed in March 2005.
Keep up your great attitude!!
Hugs and Prayers,

Anonymous said...

Trish,
You are a dynamo!  I can't believe how much you are able to do so soon after a treatment!  Today is Day 6 of treatment #2 for me and I am still down and out.  But every day is a little better.  Take care of yourself and don't overdo it!  If there was ever a time in your life to pamper yourself a little, this is it!
Hugs!
Kristin

Anonymous said...

Recently directed to your journal and I'm glad I stopped by.  I have you on alerts for future updates and I do hope all goes well.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  
d

http://journals.aol.com/nightmaremom/Thisandthatandhockey/

Anonymous said...

Trish-Found your journal by way of Jackie...You are in my prayers!
Michele
glensfork4@aol.com

Anonymous said...

I came by way of Jackie and have to tell you that I read your journal from the beginning.  You are on super trooper!  Know that you have the love, prayers and support of JLand behind you.  Chris

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm a first time visitor, coming by to offer my support and now that I'm aware of you, I will be praying for your continued recovery as you go through the treatments. Bea